An unnamed hospital in the United States has offered to help treat British 10-month-old Charlie Gard, for free, after President Trump spoke out in support of Charlie and his family.
Charlie suffers from a rare disease, and his young parents have raised over $1 million dollars in order to try and save his life, but have been barred from taking him to the United States by the European Court of Human Rights.
The Pope has spoken out for Charlie and his family, and now, after President Trump’s heartfelt offer to help in any way possible, a hospital is offering to help the child for free.
The Gard family has been in talks with the Trump administration, but have not yet spoken to the president himself.
A US hospital has reportedly offered to treat British baby Charlie Gard for free in a last-ditch effort to save the terminal ill child’s life.
It comes after Donald Trump intervened and said the US would be “delighted” to help the 10-month-old, who suffers from the rare genetic condition mitochondrial depletion syndrome, which causes brain damage and muscle weakness.
The unnamed hospital has reportedly offered to give the baby a new experimental treatment at no cost if he is able to travel to the US.
Charlie has been the subject of a lengthy legal battle after Great Ormond Street Hospital doctors proposed switching off his life support machine. His parents, Connie Yates and Chris Gard, challenged the decision but lost their battle when the European Court of Human Rights (ECHR) refused to intervene, effectively confirming that the machine could be turned off.
Doctors have agreed to give the parents a few more days with their son.
The offer of help from a US hospital, reported by The Sun, came a day after Mr Trump wrote on Twitter: “If we can help little Charlie Gard, as per our friends in the UK and the Pope, we would be delighted to do so.”
The Pope had earlier said he was praying for Charlie’s parents and was following the situation “with affection and commotion”.
If we can help little #CharlieGard, as per our friends in the U.K. and the Pope, we would be delighted to do so.
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) July 3, 2017
A White House spokesperson added: “Upon learning of baby Charlie Gard’s situation, President Trump has offered to help the family in this heartbreaking situation.
“Although the President himself has not spoken to the family, he does not want to pressure them in any way.
“Members of the administration have spoken to the family in calls facilitated by the British government.
“The President is just trying to be helpful if at all possible.
“Due to legal issues, we cannot confirm the name of doctor or hospital where the baby could be treated in the United States.”
Charlie’s parents, who are both in their 30s and live in west London, have already raised more than £1.3 million to take their son to the US for treatment.
In a video posted on Facebook, they said they felt “massively let down” by a legal process that has seen three UK courts and the ECHR rule against them.
“We are utterly heartbroken, spending our last precious hours with our baby boy”, they said.